Saturday 3 November 2018

A One Day Trip to Pratapgarh Farm, Jajjhar, Haryana



Last Thursday when we made our long awaited trip to the Pratapgarh Farm in Jajjhar, Haryana, it was a much-awaited trip, a required break from the hectic schedule of winding up the year-long syllabus. It was surely a fun-filled trip, an energizer coming at the year-end that would remain in the memories of the students forever. Surely the twelfth graders will have one more moment in school to cherish whenever they remember their school days.



Of course, like always, there were a lot of activities for everyone, including outdoor games, and indoor games, but what drew the most attention were simple rural chores like drawing water from a well, spinning a charkha, or even crossing a Burma Bridge. Eco-Tourisms Farms like the Pratapgarh Farm promote activities that are representative of the typical Indian rural life and its culture. As such, everyone enjoyed gnawing on Sugar Cane Stems having lots of Shikanji or lemonade and Chaacch or the sour buttermilk drink that is the favourite beverage in most Indian villages. The tasty Makki Ki Roti and Sarson ka Saag were served steaming-hot along with lavish dollops of fresh butter, right from the pot! It was a veritable feast for those of us who knew these dishes. I.B. Ma'am did manage to balance the Matka till good distance before it decided to move on its own accord!


A lot of the students had fun getting their hands hennaed and they wanted me specifically to take a snap with their hands in view. On this trip, I got to see a huge variety of sunglasses and goggles, and I guess I should have worn a pair.





Besides the food and the activities offered, the farm also showcased domestic animals and how they were bred. What drew my attention this time was the group of Emus that grunted and moved around rather restlessly. One of the Emu chicks pecked at the lens of my camera when I got to close to the mesh in the iron netting. Fortunately, though, the lens appeared to be unscathed. It was a most unique moment for those of us who chose to gather a lamb into our hands, especially to be able to feel this woolly living doll which simply felt different from when one takes up a doll in the hands. Mr Banerjee had a nice time with a kid that was trying nibble away at his identity card. I was made to wear a Rajasthani Turban while carrying the lamb even as Rahul offered to take a snap with my camera, no regrets though.




While everyone was busy taking tractor rides I was busy chasing butterflies that just would not stop for me! They simply flew away the moment I came close to them. I shouldn't complain though since I had omitted to bring a zoom lens. The rows of Marigold flowers were a most soothing sight especially as they looked rather familiar after having read Keat's "A Thing of Beauty" in class.


What makes Eco-tourism Farms like Pratapgarh Farms popular today is that they offer not only a taste of rural life, but also a glimpse of the chores and duties that people undertake in the villages of the country. We have become so mechanised in the towns that we have lost touch with the physical labour. The simple task of sifting the grain from the chaff, or even churning butter might be too demanding for us. Most of our lifestyle-related health problems could have been eliminated if we had been more into physical activities.

Perhaps the most memorable moment for me as I mentioned earlier was when I went too close to the wire mesh of the enclosure housing Emus and an Emu Chick poked its beak out of the space in the wire mesh and pecked at my camera lens. Fortunately, nothing happened, though I did get a fright.






2 comments: