Sunday 20 January 2019

A Kingfisher dives for its breakfast at the Sultanpur National Park



This Saturday gone by, I convinced my brother to accompany me to the Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary as I wanted to try to get some shots of birds in flight. My aim was to use a shutter speed of 1/2000. We left Gurgaon at 7:45 a.m. and the weather was clear. However, as soon as we crossed the Basai Village, we were met by a thick fog! I was in a tizzy as the fog was too thick and my plans to get a good shot of birds in flight was literally thrown into the fog! We were the first to reach the National Park and the gentleman at the ticket counter told us that the weather would lift at about 9:00 a.m. My brother had to return to Gurgaon before ten in the morning and I felt like a fool standing at the entrance of the National Park with hope for "The Shot!" In fact, I opened the inside gate to the park and my brother took a video of me. The fog was so thick that I ended up deciding to take snaps of the webs that glittered with the morning dew! What is more, I ended up taking a few snaps of my brother in the fog, it looked eerie!


So there he was, my brother, even as he was fiddling with the lens to get a hold on the fog so thick, but then I guess I was able to relieve him for his appointment that was, and no regrets for a day well spent!


Even as these three jokers in tandem did swim, to scratch and ruffle feathers that gleamed, but then I feel even birds do need to preen and care for the day to come! Northern Pintails they're called!



Eerie though it was, I whistled to him so that he could find his way to me. In the morning, the sun rose gradually casting its light on the world below.


A shot that wouldn't win a prize, though that was my only consolation besides taking snaps of the webs that stretched across the branches with dewdrops that glistened like jewels in the morning light.


But then when the morning sun grew stronger and it drove the fog away, the whole scene changed! The spoonbill shook her feathers, fluffing up for the day ahead even as a darter looked at her with curiosity!



Things began to awaken even as the birds began to fish for their breakfast. The kingfisher dove into the water and grabbed some grub which it partook off in the security of the branch of a tree. I was able to photograph its flight though I was not able to capture the exact moment when it snatched away its breakfast.


This is the snap that I was able to take prior to its dive. A collected bird waiting for its moment to take the plunge. And then the next moment, it was off!


And before I knew, it had dived into the water, grabbing its meal in what happened in a split second. I was barely able to follow it even as it was swinging back into the branch.



It had happened so fast and there I was fumbling with my camera looking for where it had gone! But then there it was, its breakfast held in its beaks.


There I was like a voyeur snapping eagerly at a bird having its breakfast. But then I guess it was to be, for I wanted to take a snap of a bird in flight, but then what I got was something better! OK, so what if I could not get the exact moment of the hunt, well, at least I got a snap of the kingfisher swallowing its breakfast.


There you have, one satisfied Kingfisher with its breakfast in its gullet, no, its stomach, and one more satisfied photographer who thought he would capture a moment of truth.


And the Spoonbill flew off no doubt to its favourite fishing ground even as I was left fuming at the time that had run out. I believe I will have to make another visit in a better light to try and capture a bird in flight. Till then, I feel I need to do with a few snaps of birds in flight!





 So for sure, Painted Storks and Egrets make a sight to see, fiddlers with lenses might grab to capture. The next time will better be, for sure, I'll be prepared be! Till then, here are a few more of those fog-dulled snaps taken that foggy morning!



But then what astounded me was what the ducks below were doing. At first sight, one might imagine it was the rudest behaviour on their part. You simply do not show you "far-side" to the lens! However, I Believe everyone has the right to express his or her opinion. Or, perhaps they were only having their breakfast, upside down thou it might be! Parental supervision (discretion) is required in the following snaps as nobody wants their children to eat food upside down!


















No comments:

Post a Comment