Thursday 1 August 2019

Photographing Clarence the Spider


Some things happen all of a sudden and this was true of Clarence the spider! I spotted Clarence while he was going around on the seat of my motorcycle and I had to rush to grab my camera. Since it was evening and the light was falling, I had to push the limits and bumped up the f-stop to 29. Of course, I decided to use a fill-in flash. I guess, Clarence must have been a bit blinded to the light, but then all those compound eyes came up glaring at me.



I grabbed hold of one of my older DSLRs, a Canon 1100D since an 18-55 mm lens was attached to it. I had no regrets although I had to get rather close and personal to the veritable critter. I did crop the snaps in order to get the tiny creature into size. My focus as always was the eyes. What I liked about the eyes was the five-pointed star of the flash that was reflected in them.



Many a time, chance and luck play great importance. Most of one's memorable snaps are a matter of luck and chance. Planned ones rarely turn out to be really good. In this case, it was probably a matter of chance that Clarence happened to be on a visit. And, well, he had a full belly and so could afford to be on a leisurely stroll.

Somehow it appears as though Clarence might have travelled great distances in a spaceship as the photographs below show an object that looks like a flying saucer. In reality, it is a rounded nut with a washer on a bike seat meant to fix a cowling.



No comments:

Post a Comment