Saturday 26 October 2019

A Barbet and a Roller Bird share a tree!


Yesterday when I once again visited the Sultanpur National Park it was to spot a Barbet and a Roller Bird sharing the same tree although different branches! I had at first thought that the Barbet was a Bee-eater, but then when I zoomed in, I realised that it was a Barbet!



I was also able to capture a fight taking place between two Egrets, possibly over nesting rights! I was barely able to turn around to capture the fight, it happened so fast and then it was over in the blink of an eye!


Of the Sarus Crane Pair, well they were definitely there, however, I did spot what appeared to be a solitary Sarus Crane a little way off in the dried up scrub. I did hear someone say that there are no less than twenty Sarus Cranes in the Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary though I doubt this to be true.



One of my favourite snaps of the day is the one above, Cranes, Antelope and an Egret foraging for food. This inter-species tolerance of each other is a lesson for all of us! 



The solitary Sarus Crane was a bit elusive though we were able to follow it into the brush. Hidden behind the scrub, the Crane kept glancing towards us. We advanced each time it poked its head into the underbrush.


During this visit, I was also able to spot a Shikra and a White-throated Kingfisher enter into a verbal fight and then settle on the same branch quietly looking into the water for a possible breakfast. I didn't bother too much about the Kingfisher as I have already seen it so many times!


The Shikra was difficult to spot in the branches, but then I had to play with the settings to get an acceptable exposure!












3 comments:

  1. Wonderful clicks and an amazing visual treat of the nature. Really liked the way you have captured and expressed !!! Kudos to you sir !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful clicks and an amazing visual treat of the nature. Really liked the way you have captured and expressed !!! Kudos to you sir !!! Regards Ajay Panjeta

    ReplyDelete