Monday 22 June 2020

Orb-Weaver Spider-Neoscona Crucifera (Not for the Squeamish)



A lot of people find insects bugs and spiders repulsive to look at. Somehow it is all about an instinctive fear of creepy-crawlies. However, a closer look at most of the spiders is bound to fascinate you, at least when their photographs are blown up. Thanks to Macro-photography I was later able to identify the spider, a regular at my garden as an Orb-Weaver Spider known by its Scientific name as Neoscona Crucifera.


Incidentally, I would spot this particular spider early in the mornings, at about 5:00 a.m hanging from a silken org made of very sticky material. On many occasions, when I made a little noise, it scampered into an evergreen tree. On other occasions, I literally saw it roll up the web and bundle it up in its front claws, with its eyes barely peeking over the sticky bundle of web.


Clearly, Orb-Weaver Spiders are nocturnal by nature and they come out during the night, spinning a huge web, an orb of sticky silk to trap hapless insects. On a few occasions, I did see an insect in its mandibles sucked hollow, a mere carcass to be blown away in the wind. Orb-weaver spiders probably inject the victim with some kind of a protein or perhaps a chemical that liquefies the inner organs of the insect which can then be sucked as a rich juice by the spider.


A brief note about the photographs, well I used a Canon 1300D body with a 40 mm Canon STM Pancake Lens. I used a fill-in flash to bring out the details, used a shutter speed of 1/200 and an aperture of f-7.1 to f-13. I kept the ISO settings at 100 and 200 so that I could get fewer grains in the photographs. So, as you can see, you really don't require high-end fancy equipment to take great-looking macro shots!




No comments:

Post a Comment