Saturday 25 July 2020

Those Amazing Flying Dragonflies and Damselflies


Just today when I visited the Basai Wetland hoping to photograph some birds, I happened to come across a few dragonflies flitting around. I wondered if I should not take a few photographs of them while flying. I knew it would be a challenge to get them into the frame, and once they were in the frame it would be a difficult task getting them into focus. After a few shots, I abandoned the autofocus mode on the camera simply because it just would not lock into the image. All this happened in spite of the fact that I had set the central focal point. I switched to the manual focus mode and then rotated the focus ring as soon as a dragonfly entered into the frame. Anyways, the photographs came out better than I thought and so I am sharing some of the best ones.


And then after some time, I came across a pair of dragonflies and a pair of damselflies flying in tandem. Well, I guess they had to go about their business. I was able to take a couple of snaps of them too, though I guess they were least bothered by my presence. 



The Damselflies in the above photograph seemed to merge or meld into the green background. Fortunately enough I was able to get them too.
While it is relatively easier to photograph stationary dragonflies and damselflies, things do become a tad complicated when it comes to photographing them when they're flying. Tracking, panning and fine-tuning the focus ring did indeed require a bit of juggling,


Luckily enough I was not tied down by excess equipment, least of all a tripod or any other paraphernalia.







No comments:

Post a Comment