Sunday 24 January 2021

Bar-headed Geese descend on the Basai Wetland in large numbers


Yesterday when I visited the Basai Wetland, I spent a lot of time looking in the wrong direction for the Bar-headed Geese that I had gone to photograph. It was after about an hour or so of patiently waiting for the birds to arrive that I heard some noise behind the weeds right behind me. When I explored further, I was in for a surprise! There, right in front of me were the Bar-headed Geese, and surely they were a noisy lot!


I had taken a lot of risk in visiting the wetland since the weather was not right, but then, there was a window as the weather had cleared and I got just what I wanted! To add to it was the chance of photographing the Geese while approaching to land. They were not perturbed by my presence and they went about their duties without any hesitation.


It was a joy to see these graceful birds gliding in for a landing on the wetland. Since the lighting was fair enough, I could use a lower ISO setting and thus avoid grainy photographs.


When the birds were not landing in groups, they would be in pairs, the lead bird, probably the male leading the female to the landing. 


It seems that the Bar-headed Geese have been favouring the Basai Wetland as opposed to the Sultanpur National park, probably because of the abundant water in the low-lying areas. It surely makes one wonder why the area is not labelled as a wetland. That, I guess is for National Green Tribunal to decide! To enjoy the beauty of these birds, one needs to get as close to them as possible, and for that, you definitely need a good zoom lens!







No comments:

Post a Comment