Sunday 14 November 2021

Scarface - the Veteran Indian Golden Jackal

Just today, when I visited the Sultanpur National Park, I did not expect to spot any new migratory birds since it was early November and most of the birds, especially the Bar-headed Geese arrive later in the month. The almost one and a half years that the park was shut down has however, been a boon to some of the Vulpine species of Mammals and the indigenous species of birds. In my previous post I had mentioned spotting a pair of Indian Golden Jackals but not being able to take a snap of them. Today, however I was lucky enough to take a few photographs of them. The weather, unfortunately was not too good, and the smog created by stubble burning in the nearby areas had contributed to less than favourable conditions to take photographs of wild animals and birds.






I have titled the post, Scarface because one of the Golden Indian Jackals I spotted seemed to bear the scars of a battle it must have fought with another animal, possibly wild dogs or even something more imposing. When I looked at other photographs of the animal, I noticed healed skin over its right hindquarters. Any ways, I will state with great respect that none of the animals I spotted dashed away into safety! I did not move, I kept still and as long as I was still these rather beautiful and graceful animals allowed to take their photographs. It was only when another visitor to the park made an abrupt appearance that they scampered away!





The Indian Golden Jackal, incidentally is under a threat of extinction, especially as their natural habitats keep shrinking to make way for human developmental activities. Very soon, even these animals will be lost to us forever. The Indian/Asian Antelope, also known as Neel Gai is also facing extinction because of a loss of habitat. This majestic Antelope shares the park with numerous other animals. I couldn't resist taking a photograph of one of them!


The last photograph I am sharing on this blog is that of what I assume to be an Indian wildcat. A little distance into the Park, I noticed a pair of what appeared to be wildcats dash in front of me. I did not have time to change the shutter speed nor the aperture and so I just let go at one of them. The only part that seemed to be clear enough was that of the tail which seemed to have a series of concentric dark circles around it.




 




3 comments: