Sunday 24 April 2022

Photographing People - Taking amazing Portraits that stand out from the ordinary

Taken at f-5, ISO-400, exposure- 1/250

Photographing people at a fair can be a most pleasing experience, especially when it is all about photographing expressions. I was able to visit the Surajkund Craft fair and came across some amazing people, people who had dressed up in the form of mythological characters, or even the colours of a clown. I have been seeing the gentleman in the middle of the photograph above at the Surajkund Crafts Fair for quite a few years now. I guess the next time I see him I will take his contact details and ask him his name.

Taken at f-5, ISO 200, exposure-1/250

My most favoured lens for portraits is the Canon 18-55 kit lens for the very reason that it offers a degree of flexibility especially in crowded areas like Crafts fairs. A suggested f-stop number would be 5.6, and the shutter speed could be anything from 1/200 to 1/250.

Taken at f-5.6, exposure -1/100, ISO 320

It is, however, most important to acknowledge the person you are photographing, and in a way, make the person feel comfortable with your taking his or her photograph. I often indicate to the artist that I would like to take a photograph and wait for a proper pose.

Taken at f-7.1, Exposure 1/160, ISO-800

My ultimate suggestion for taking a great portrait is to show respect to the person and in a way ask for permission to take a photograph. Quick thinking and preparedness are very important, especially as you might want to photograph an expression that is worth capturing! I guess I got the fellow's expression just right!
Taken at f-5.6, exposure 1/80, ISO 250

The expression of the person in the photograph turned out just like I wanted it to be. The pleasant smile on the face and the just correct turn of the head shows the person connecting with the photographer. It is very clear therefore that one should try to have a connect with the person you are photographing, even if it is a fleeting connection.

Taken at f-7.1, exposure - 1/125, ISO 800

Taken at f-4.5, exposure-1/50, ISO- 100


The subjects in the above photographs happen to be my brother in the first one and my sister and wife in the lower one. I had asked them to give me a smile, to which they complied. In this case, one will note that since the person is an acquaintance, his photograph will look different from those of strangers. However, even when photographing acquaintances, one should be careful about choosing the right background so that their faces stand out.


1 comment:

  1. Your Point is veritably nice, and it's veritably helping us this post is unique and intriguing, thank you for participating this stupendous information. and visit our blog point also
    Jaipur Tour

    ReplyDelete