Tuesday 28 February 2023

Trees at Dawn-A poem

I've

Seen the trees  at

Dawn, nodding to each other

Swaying and moving around, dropping

Leaves and twigs to scare me off! And I heard

Them whisper to each other, even as I passed them

While the sun peeped

From behind the 

Horizon, the  

World yet to

Wake up.


I heard

A rustle and a sniff.

I saw them nod and shrug to

To each other, all the trees in the garden,

In deep conversation with one another. And to

Scare me off, they dropped twigs and leaves and stuff.

They wouldn't let

Me hear what they

Said. So I jogged on

In the park listening

To the mysterious voices.


Now I know!

Trees speak to each other

Early in the mornings when the world is yet

To wake up. They move around in the darkness lest

They be seen by people. They are the mysterious spirits of

The forest, wiser than us, knowing secrets we don't know.

I have heard whispers

And snatches of talk

From the trees, and

Have wondered if 

They might be human!


Perhaps,

It is the spirits of the giants

Of the past that I hear whispering, the

Undying voices, of wisdom, experience and

Knowledge born of millennia of green growth reaching

To the heavens above as if to connect to a higher unknown power.

The whispers

And snatches of

Broken voices

Might be a secret

Message not for us.


Now I know that the trees do whisper to each other very early

In the morning. Secret messages they pass on to each other.

They pass one warnings of Global warming, and Earthquakes.

They are the all knowing ones, the souls of the giant Redwood

The tall Coniferous trees, the wide Banyan trees, all speaking

To their offsprings, warning them to beware of human beings

And their greed to wipe out all life from this Earth. They don’t

Want me to listen to the dire warnings and so they try to scare

Me off by dropping dry twigs, and leaves so that I might leave

Them to their devices. But, I the stubborn one keep jogging one

More circuit with the hope of gaining some inspiration to lead

A better life. But then, I do return home with a lighter heart and

A stronger resolve to live a meaningful life. I guess some of the

Wisdom might have rubbed off into me, of those giants that spoke

In whispers not knowing that in my mind I recognised a kindred

Spirit to guide me and inspire me about the true meaning of life.


To nurture

Young minds and guide them

To respect the trees and their ancestors,

To listen to the voices of the Earth

And learn of compassion and

Kindness,

Would be

The secret

Of the trees

That I heard.


Now I know

Of the importance of the

Voices of the trees, and though they

Try to drive me away, like a stubborn child, I

Keep jogging under the giants, hoping, perhaps that they

Might one day give away the secret to success, joy and health.

Though they

Drop twigs 

And leaves

At me, still

I persist-stubborn.


In the

Early morning, when

The world still sleeps, and I, the early one,

Watch the tall swaying giants, nodding and whispering

At each other knowingly, the wise ones, whose voices we have

Ignored, speak of things yet to be of things that once were.

They might be 

Spirits of beings 

That once were,

But their voices

Live on and on.


Dawn is a

Magical hour, a time

When the trees do talk to each other

In whispers lest we should hear them. They talk of

Life without pollution and strife, a world at peace. Where all

Lead a life of plenty, without greed, malice, jealousy and anger.

The giants know it all.

The secret to a joyful

Life is hidden the whispers.

To hear the whispers one

Would need to wake up early!











No comments:

Post a Comment