Saturday 11 May 2024

Photographing Wildlife at a National Park


A Male Asian Antelope stands guard over the Does.

One of the greatest joys of a wildlife photography enthusiast is to get a few good pictures of wildlife that tell a story. Having more than those is like a treasure trove. Recently when I visited the Sultanpur National Park I was the first one inside the whole park. This proved to be a boon for me as I was able to spot a large number of birds and animals.


Spot-billed Ducks take to the air en-mass
Spot-billed Ducks in the air

Knob-billed Ducks attempt a takeoff

Perhaps the best part of having the whole National Park to myself was that I spotted the elusive Asian Golden Jackal. Of course, the Jackal was unaware of my presence as I was hidden in the bushes and the sun's direction helped a lot.

An Asian Golden Jackal on the way to feed its cubs

An Asian Golden Jackal looks at the camera with curiosity.

Photographing birds in flight can be tricky sometimes even having a shutter speed of 1/1200 might not give you the best possible results! That is of course in the case of photographing larger birds. I took these amazing photographs of Sarus Cranes taking off at a much slower shutter speed of 1/200, but then panning the camera and focusing on the birds' eyes gave me an amazing result! You might check out the results yourself.
A Pair of Sarus Cranes attempt a takeoff

It takes a lot of runway for Sarus Cranes to take off!






No comments:

Post a Comment