Monday 25 February 2019

Male Bluethroat Bird Spotted at the Basai Wetland, Gurgaon



This Sunday when I visited the Basai Wetland in Gurgaon, I was in for a treat when a male Bluethroat bird performed quite a few antics before me. Surprisingly, this a bird that is normally very secretive! The Bluethroat bird, known by its scientific name as Luscnina svecica is a striking bird as it has a very colourful blue bib around its neck.



In all probability, the bird was not aware of my presence since I was shooting with the sun right behind me, and moreover, I was hidden behind a shed that the local fishermen had constructed to keep watch over their stock of fish.




On researching further about the bird I came to know that in India the Bluethroat bird breeds only in Ladakh, North Kashmir and Spiti. It is interestingly a visitor over most of the country during the winter season.


Great to know that this little bird has the wanderlust, especially since it has travelled a long way from the mountains on to the plains.







No comments:

Post a Comment