Tuesday 24 December 2019

Jackal spotted at the Sultanpur National Park


When I visited the Sultanpur National Park, yesterday, on the 23rd of December, I didn't expect to spot much in the form of migratory birds, and I knew that even if I did spot something unique, it wouldn't be possible to get a clear photograph because of the dense mist. I didn't check with the weather forecast believing that somehow the weather would clear and give me a few "golden moments" of light with the proverbial "warm tones"! But then, this didn't happen and so when I entered the park at 7:30 in the morning I had the entire park to myself, that is of course apart from the denizens who had made it there home for the winter season! As I took my leisurely stroll down the road less taken, I was startled by the numerous Partridges that took off into the air from literally from where my steps were planted. After some time, I spotted something in the distance, something reddish-brown that was sort of staring at me. I stopped, lifted my camera to look at it through the lens and then low and behold it was a Jackal! This was the first time that I had spotted a Jackal in the area. Previously, I had spotted a family of Jackals at the Damdama Lake close to the Aravali mountains. While the Sultanpur National Park does host numerous Asian Antelopes and a few dogs, I was pleasantly surprised to see the Jackal.


I wonder who was more surprised by the encounter, the Jackal or me. At first glance, it appeared as if it might be a wolf, but then I knew somehow that we don't have wolfs in this region. Indeed, the Jackal appeared to be a rather graceful creature, and unlike stories of its being a cowardly beast, it did stand still gazing at me as if to challenge my very presence in the area. After some time, though, it reluctantly moved away, its dignity intact.


For me, it was a mission well accomplished. I had gone to the National Park hoping to spot a few exotic migratory birds, but instead, I had managed to spot a Jackal! An important lesson for all bird-spotters, "Remember to be ready for the unexpected, you might get more than you bargained for!"


No comments:

Post a Comment