Tuesday 10 November 2020

Ablutions of a Black Drongo

Just recently when I visited the Basai Wetland in Gurugram (Gurgaon) I was able to spot a Black Drongo going through its morning ablutions. I have rarely seen, throughout my trysts with nature, a Black Drongo skinny-dipping in the water. It was my belief that Black Drongos were 'dry land-based' birds that did not dive into the water for a bath. 


Well, this one, for once seemed to be very particular about cleaning itself very thoroughly. While perched on the branch of a Keekar tree, it gave itself a vigorous shake causing all its feathers to fan out and then its attention was devoted to the cleaning of its 'armpits' left and right.










But then, the best part was to see the bird dart towards the surface of the water and then dip into it! I at first thought it was merely skimming the surface for insects, however to my surprise, it plunged into the water and surfaced like a rocket. Of course, I was fast enough to capture the amazing moment. Lo and behold, there before me was one of the freshest and cleanest Black Drongos, sparkling in the sunlight!







Thus did I come to know that Black Drongos love to clean themselves for the day, and they love dipping into the water, probably to shake away loose dirt and other parasites that might be hiding under their feathers. It is indeed amazing to see these rather beautiful birds taking a dip in the water.






No comments:

Post a Comment