Monday 16 November 2020

Amazing Images of Courting Grey Herons at the Basai Wetland

Yesterday, when I visited the Basai Wetland for my weekly tryst with nature, I was absolutely stunned by the display of excellent aerobatic skills by a pair of courting Grey Herons. 'STUNNED', is how I would like to describe their display of courtship flight! 

This pair of Grey Heron went chasing each other, often wingtip to wingtip, literally skimming the surface of the water so much so that you could see the furrow created by their wingtips! Well, I did not expect this as I had planned to go further to a spot where I would be photographing ducks.

Of course, another pleasant surprise was to spot some Pied Avocet birds, but then, I was divided between the Pied Avocet and the flying Grey Heron. This would be the first time that I was seeing a pair of these rather graceful birds sailing on so gracefully. I could have stayed rooted to the spot if they had finally not decided to fly away into the horizon.

This blogpost is dedicated only to the wonderful Grey Heron I spotted at the Basai Wetland, and I hope that in the days to come, we will be seeing more of them and their offspring!

The best shots of the Grey Heron were those that I took of each one of them individually, and I am sure you will agree that they are simply out of this world!


So even as the female was trying to play hard to get, the male kept pursuing her even as she led him on 'Grey Heron's chase' all over the place. The sudden landings with wings flared, the deployed 'slats, lowered flaps, and the nose up attitude' seemed reminiscent of aerobatic aircraft (But then, of course, we learned the art of flying from them!).



Although the Grey Heron birds happen to be a mostly solitary bird hunting for fish, often motionless and still, they are happy to have the company of a mate during the mating season. These graceful birds are quite big standing one metre tall with wings extending even more! They have long legs black in colour that appear as if they are black twigs to fool fish into a sense of complacency waiting to be gobbled by the bird waiting above. Grey Heron are waders that feed on the surface of the water striking into the depths as soon as they spot a fish.




Well, I guess that's it for today, hope to come up with some more photographs of the amazing wildlife that can be spotted at the Basai Wetland in Gurugram.
























No comments:

Post a Comment