Sunday 11 February 2024

At the 37th Surajkund International Crafts Fair

This time like in the previous years, February was a month we looked forward to eagerly since it is the month when the Surajkund Crafts Fair takes place. The Crafts Fair offers an extravaganza of handicraft items from all over the world; it offers a glimpse into all the cultures of different countries, through their dresses and dances.


I spotted the man whose photograph I have posted below from the African continent wearing a cap crowned with Porcupine quills. He graciously smiled at me even as I photographed him. It is amazing how positive most of the participants at the fair were!


The little girl whose photograph I have poster below was selling decorative bells. She looked particularly confident as she helped her parents!


I have been photographing the man on the left in the photograph below for the past five years and although time has passed, he doesn't seem to have changed a lot. His companion, however, was missing this year.



These Russian dolls were very nicely done. The Russian stall has offered traditional Russian Dolls that are evocative of the culture of that country.


Turkish lanterns have been a big crowd puller over the last few years at the Surajkund Crafts Fair. This year too, there was a crowd at the stall.


The two girls, in the photograph below whom I initially thought to be from Mongolia but later told me that they were from Kyrgistan were glad to be photographed.


The African dancers blazed the stage with their power-packed performances. No wonder they are so energetic and dynamic! Climbing on to to of her dance partners and yet maintaining balance was indeed nothing short of a dynamic performance for the girl!




At the Fair, this time, I took a few photographs of painters at the group show of 35 artists at a painting workshop a few of which I am gladly sharing.










2 comments: