Sunday 18 February 2024

Celebrating Success at the Virmani Public School, Roop Nagar, Delhi


When I was invited to the Annual Day Function of the Virmani Public School, Roop Nagar by Mr. Anil Virmani, Chairman of the Virmani Education Trust, I simply had to accept it! I started my career in education as an employee of the trust nearly 29 years ago when I joined the Dhanpatmal Virmani Sr. Secondary School at Roop Nagar, Delhi. Both the Dhanpatmal Virmani Sr. Sec. School and the Virmani Public School (both sister schools) have been close to my heart since they nurtured me during my formative years as a teacher of English.



What I noticed when I visited the Vrimani Public School on the 17th of February was a total transformation, it has become a model of what an ideal public school should look like and what aspiring schools should look up to.







The colour decor of the classrooms was light and pleasing, the display boards were bursting with loads of exemplars of student work, a swanky and well-designed computer lab, and a pleasing and spacious library, all grabbed my attention! All the classrooms had a small metal placard mentioning the name of each member of the trust as a tribute to each member's contribution to the pursuit of education. All of these changes are the fruits of the efforts of  Mr Amitav Virmani, the Manager of the school, and of course the CEO of Education Alliance!

Dr Rekha Sharma, the Principal of the Virmani Public School oversaw the flow of events very efficiently. Her professional approach and growth mindset attitude have, without doubt also contributed to the school's transformation.

I was particularly impressed by how well-groomed our student guides were as they took Avtar Singh (the HOS of the Dhanpatmal Virmani Senior Secondary School) and me on a tour of the classrooms, labs and library. The students who were presenting their displays spoke fluent English and were confident in their approach.

It was simply amazing to see how one of the oldest schools in Roop Nagar has transformed itself, breaking out of the cobwebs of time and typical stereotypes that affect educational institutions, especially government-aided schools! It is truly a model and an example of how out-of-the-box thinking, rational policies, the System's approach and some effort can create models of excellence.



And the best of all was the release of a book titled, 'Tiny Tales, Big Dreams' by students of class 6 A of the Virmani Public School. Students of the class were encouraged to write stories on characters in the lessons they had read in English. In his address to the gathering, Mr Amitav Virmani attributed the success of the school to the positivity of the teachers and the 8 'Cs'. The eight Cs according to him needed for success include: Courage, Curiosity, Creativity, Critical thinking, Consciousness, Collaboration, and Consistency.



3 comments:

  1. The work done by them is commendable. My association with Mr. Virmani/ Trust is about 2 decades when they started Functional Literacy Program - I could provide the TCS developed software to them. The success of the program by Virmani Trust is worth a global case study.

    Funny it is that I recently wanted to extend the program through another NGO and have not been able to get the software from TCS yet, but have got it from Virmani Trust just on a request!

    I had to deliver a full day training on 17th and could not join you all - I wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Daman, great to hear from you. I am glad to inform you that I had the opportunity of launching the TCS pilot project in the school many years ago. Great to have been associated with this amazing trust of visionaries and philanthropists.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete