Saturday, 25 July 2026

The Incredibly Unique Golden Silk Spider - Nephila pileps - a unique species of Spiders

The Nephila pileps spider is a strikingly unique spider that I spotted at the Ram Nagar (Jim Corbett Park) forest. This graceful spider has long legs and a large web from which it suspends itself. Often, the web spans across branches of different trees. Wikipedia mentions that adult females are very large, with a body length of up to 25 to 50 mm. This species of spider is the second largest of orb-weaving spiders. The male spiders are, however, much smaller than their female counterparts.

While female spiders are prone to gigantism, the male spiders are affected by dwarfism. I was struck by their appearance when I visited a forest in the Ram Nagar zone, and I couldn't help but photograph them from a distance with a zoom lens.


Strangely enough, the Raglai people in Vietnam roast these spiders and eat them. These spiders might be a rich source of protein and nutrients! 

Golden Silk Spiders play an important role in the ecological system. They hunt small insects, preventing them from overpopulating the environment. Their role in pest control and contribution to biodiversity has been appreciated.





No comments:

Post a Comment