Sunday, 6 September 2026

Visiting the Ethiopian Cultural Centre in Delhi Revives Memories

A surprise visit to the Ethiopian Cultural Center in Delhi revived memories of a past that could only be revisited. I was born at Princess Tsehai Hospital in Addis Ababa in 1968, and then my years in Ethiopia were spent in Adwa, Arbaminch, and Addis Ababa. I grew up with my siblings in the various provinces where my parents served, including Adwa, Arbaminch, and Addis Ababa.





Today, I have my extended family with me, and all I can do is show them slices of a life that I and my siblings once lived. The exhibits at the Cultural Centre reminded me of a life that was once was. The food and the scents associated with it brought back a past that was once a reality.



My Dad once was a lover of authentic Ethiopian coffee, and sure enough, we ordered at the Ethiopian Cultural Centre. Of Course, instead of the roasted grains, we had popcorn to offset the bitter taste of the coffee. I had with me several coffee aficionados who ultimately declared that nothing compared to the strength of the Ethiopian Coffee that was served to us! Of course, you need to develop a taste for Ethiopian Coffee, but then I took to the cup like a duck to the water. Earthware Coffee flask was once a rallying point for many a gathering with women, and some men gathering over for a discussion of how the world was progressing!






My formative years were spent in an enigmatic country known for its association with Queen Sheba and the Ark of the Covenant. I was nurtured on ethnic Ethiopian food that included Injera, Doro Wat, Shoro Wat, Kai Wat and the assorted food that we enjoyed as long as I stayed in that amazing country. I have always wanted to revisit the country of my birth, and my wish is that I might visit the country of my birth before I die. An enigmatic country with the Kirars and Masenkos, the Mesobs and the Fly-whisks might have changed today!

I came to India in 1985 to pursue my classes after completing my ESLC certificate course after grade 12. Since then, I have never been back to the country of my birth. God willing, I will visit Ethiopia in the near future. My visit to the Cultural Center in Delhi revived memories of a life long past. Food is a powerful cue that reminds you of the past. And rightly so, the injera, and the food served at the centre revived strong memories of a past that was. How, of course, could I forget to mention the role of Mitmitta or if you would like to state it, gunpowder, that adds a zest to the food!





When I talked to the chef at the centre, I was barely able to decipher what she was saying, and honestly, I felt bad because I was once so fluent in Amharic that I was a fluent translator for my parents, who were still struggling with the lingo. Amharic was the language of my birth, besides a bit of Hindi and mostly English, thanks to my parents being fluent in English. The recitation of the alphabets in school ring loud in my ears, Baa, Be Bu Bo and so on I listened to them as they were recited not having to note them as I was the only Indian in the class.

If only I could visit the country of my birth! In the meantime, however, I am only able to visit a version of the country. The visit to the Ethiopian Cultural Centre in Delhi created an urge to visit the country. The food and the exhibits revived treasured memories of a life long past. But then life can spring surprises, and one might never know what the future might present to us. Till we meet again!



I did my schooling in Ethiopia, completing my ESLCE, or twelve years of schooling, before I migrated to India for further schooling. My parents are no longer with me, and all I have are memories of travels from Adwa to Asmara and Masawa, but that was before the country was divided! Our stay in Arbaminch was an amazing experience, a defining moment where my father taught me about observing wildlife and learning signs of the forest. I still carry my father's teachings to this day, and I have learned to connect with wildlife.


No comments:

Post a Comment