Sunday 12 January 2014

Raahgiri-Gurgaon; Social Activism at its best!


P1120363


Finally, after having heard so much from my students of the Heritage School, Gurgaon about the Raahgiri day that takes place from 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. every Sunday in front of Galleria and Sushant Lok, I decided to take a look! Of course, I took with me the whole family! The Raahgiri day, similar to the Ciclovia movement is about making the roads of Gurgaon Cycle friendly. The Raahgiri Day in Gurgaon is the result of the hard work and the efforts of the students of the Heritage School who did a feasibility report about the use of cycles in the Millennium city and handed it to the JCP-traffic in the year 2011. This was done by students of Grade Six!


P1120359
My Brother Sanjay and  Niece,Rhea
P1120297

P1120328 
In the photograph are Raima, my niece and Adi, my nephew, Ishi another niece and Nidhi my Wife
P1120338
In the snap with the Traffic Taos are Rhea and Ishi my nieces and Sapna my Sister in Law
P1120343
Of Course I was there too!
On the whole there was the atmosphere of a carnival, there were no cars on the road, and people had come out with their bicycles, roller skates, foot balls and otherwise just for a stroll on a road that happens to be chocked with vehicular traffic most of the time! One of the things that caught my eyes was the more colourful and rather more cultured portrayal of the local traffic police who were dressed up as the “Traffic Taou” a rather fond rendering of the otherwise very strict cops into a more cultured and concerned uncle!
P1120336
What I could also observe was social activism at its best which not only sought to impress upon those gathered the need to observe traffic rules but also various other issues that affect the country as a whole! 
P1120305

P1120310
A selfie for the moment-A group of “ I am Pedalyatri” activists

P1120311
A poster exhorting Sid to wake up and respect the Road before it is too late!
P1120367
Last but not least, a standee explaining the making of Raahgiri - into a vehicle-free day. It is the equivalent of the ciclovia movement which promotes open streets. The Heritage school has been an active proponent of the Bike Friendly Gurgaon movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment