Sunday 30 August 2020

Amazing Wire-Tailed Swallows Spotted at The Basai Wetland Gurugram


Wire-tailed Swallows are amazing little birds! Swift-flying and playful in nature, they have been a part of our culture and literature. When I spot Swallows, I remember the story of the "Happy Prince", a story by Oscar Wilde. The Swallow was a constant companion of the Happy Prince statue till the end. In the end, when winter comes, it is the Swallow that remains with the Happy Prince since it doesn't migrate with the others to warmer regions. The story speaks volumes about the companionship with a human statue and a bird, symbolising the relationship between nature and man. Even Shakespeare had something to say about the Swallow when he wrote, "true hope is swift, and flies with swallow's wings."
The swallow symbolises love, care and affection towards family and friends, and fidelity. The birds interestingly choose a mate for life and will nest with only there partners. In various cultures, swallows symbolise hope and freedom. Whenever I spot swallows I am filled with joy. Their friskiness and swift swoops all over the area are often difficult to capture on camera, but their memory will always remain in the mind! I was fortunate enough to spot a few juveniles accompanied by adults at the Basai Wetland when I visited it today. The wind was strong and the birds were clinging on to a wire-mesh fence lest they should be blown away. I got as close to them as possible, and they did not mind, probably as they were juveniles.
This is the first time that I have gotten so close to Wire-tailed Swallows, and although the lighting was not so good, managed to take a few decent shots of them. What struck me the most was to see three of them sitting close to each other like the three stooges. I could sense their wonder and curiosity about what I was doing with the camera. Without further explanation, I would like to present a series of photographs that I would like to label as "The Three Stooges."

The Three Stooges





The birds might as well be in a silent conversation, or perhaps, I might have missed their whispers. The wind must have snatched away their silent whispers (even as I was eager to get them into the frame) or I would tell you what they were conversing about- me of course! Whatever might be the case, their body-language is so familiar to that of human beings.
A clear distinction exists between adult and juvenile swallows. While adult Wire-tailed swallows have longe wire-like projections coming out from each of their wings, the juveniles have yet to develop them. Additionally, juveniles Wire-tailed swallows have a dash of yellow on the base of their beaks.
The Juvenile

Swallows are playful birds and they can be seen swooping around chasing each other, trying to settle on a perch that is already occupied. I was able to capture a few instances of Wire-tailed swallows trying to dislodge their siblings from their perch. These games reminded me of the games that our own children play with each other.

Juveniles Playing for a Perch





If the juvenile Wire-tailed swallows are playful, the adults are more reserved and watchful. They perch on posts with long 'wires' trailing from each of their wings. This is a graceful sight for those who have a sharp eye.

The watchful Adult



I guess there is more to Wire-tailed swallows that meets the eyes. The way they have adapted to life in the cities is somehow a success story that we need to learn from. These photographs were taken at the Basai Wetland in Gurgaon today. While I was not able to spot too many big water-birds, I had to make do with these tiny ones.













No comments:

Post a Comment