Saturday 10 October 2020

Common Starling (Sturnus Vulgaris) spotted at the Basai Wetland


Just today when I visited the Basai Wetland I was pleasantly surprised to spot the Common Starling Sturnus Vulgaris in large numbers. I was particularly fascinated by the rather distinct golden markings throughout the body. Its plumage had a rather unique metallic purple colour that shimmered in the sunlight.


A beautiful bird species without any doubt, the bird seems to take its name from the golden starlike spots on its feathers. While the first bird seemed least bothered by my closeness, perhaps it was too busy looking for insects on that branches of a tree, the others, however, fled en masse as soon as they felt my presence.


I have learnt from my research on the internet that the Common Starling-Sturnus Vulgaris is not a very common species in the Northern Plains of India, therefore spotting them at the Basai Wetland in Gurgaon might as well be a rare sighting! The Common Starling is also known as European Starling in the United States or simply Starling in Britain.


Common Starlings are apparently omnivorous as they feed both on insects and seeds. They are known to migrate to warmer regions during the winter season. Common starlings are gregarious by nature and they can be found in bunches of five or six birds as I could see during my visit to the Basai Wetland. People often link the Common Starlings with the Common Myna.


Photographing the birds was a challenge because the rather typical dark metallic colour of their plumage made it difficult for me to get the eyes into focus. Moreover, the birds were hidden deep within the branches of the trees where they had been resting or looking for insects to eat.



This is a beautiful bird species and you need to see it with your own eyes to appreciate it. I at first thought it was a Purple Sunbird because of the iridescent colours of its feathers.





2 comments: