Thursday 13 June 2024

Are Miracles Real?

This is the slip that spotted after six years!

Lately I have been witnessing strange things that force me to question the very concept of miracles. How often is a coincidence too good to be just a coincidence? Looking at the mathematical law of probabilities, is there a law that  might rule out a probability and thus a possibility of it being a miracle, if no something that defies the predictability of the Physical world?

So where do I start with? Perhaps I should start with the latest incident. Well, as you might have guessed, I  am a book worm and love to read books. As such, I have been a member of the British Council Library for  ages. Just yesterday when I picked up one of the books I had gotten issued in my name, titled Last Man Off a true story of adventure and grit by Matt Lewis, I came a across as slip of paper that is issued by the library when you check out books. At first I was on the point of slipping it away in between some of the pages, but then curiosity pricked me and I looked at is closely. To my shock, it was a slip dated 24/11/2018, a good six years back. But what was even more surprising was that it was issued in my name!

That slip had been waiting all those years for me to come across it! Was it possible that no one had gotten the book issued in all those years, and that that book in itself had waited for me to pick it up again after six years because I had probably returned it all those years ago without reading it? And as I continue to read the book, I keep wondering if this ‘coincidence’ might perhaps not have a deeper meaning for me? But then this is not all! There was another incident that happened three months ago which defies any rational explanation!

So it happened that I was returning home from work and on the way I stopped to fill my bike’s tank with petrol. As usual everything went on well till when I reached home and I patted my pockets, I realised that my wallet was missing! I got myself into a state and immediately informed my wife that I had misplaced my wallet and that I was going to retrace my route right till the petrol station as I felt that I might have dropped it there.

I hoped beyond hope that one of the petrol pump attendants might have kept the wallet for safe-keeping. As I was on my way, my mobile kept ringing and I had to stop to answer the call. I was surprised to see that the person who had called me was my banker who had just opened a new bank account for me. He asked me whether I had lost my wallet and when I answered in the affirmative, he told me that he had been contacted by someone who had picked up my wallet. He gave me the person’s phone number. When I called up the ‘Good Samaritan’s’ phone, he called me to a location close to my home. I rushed to the location and there he was smiling at me. When I met him he told me that my wallet had flipped out of my pocket while I was riding my bike and that he had picked it up for safe keeping. 

Now what makes everything even more interesting is how he was able to send a message across to me. My wallet did not have my mobile number, nor did it have any of my family members’ phone numbers. It had, however my bank’s debit card and so using the information on the debit card he was able to contact my banker and the latter was able to contact me thereby. Some of these things seem to defy rationality. In most cases, a lost wallet is never returned to its owner.

Manifestations do occur, and I am sure there was much more behind these two incidents which ensured that I got hold of a slip of paper with my name the book I had returned without reading, or for that effect my wallet that contained important documents. You must be wondering after all this whether the person who had found my wallet expected a reward. Well the answer is that I offered him all the cash that I had in my wallet, which, of course, he refused!

We live lives that have such predictable routines that it often comes as a surprise when something out of the blue happens. Modern life with all its gadgets, internet, Artificial Intelligence and computers has become so systematic and fixed in its pattern that we have become blinded to the possibility of miracles taking place in life, we have blocked ourselves from  hope,  and positivity. Evidences suggest that there more to life than computers, and artificial intelligence and we all need to understand that miracles do exist, hope is alive, and there is a lot of essence in positivity and optimism. Somehow, after the initial shock of losing my wallet I was calm and confident of getting back my wallet in spite of the Mathematical probability of not getting it. 

It is unfortunate that many of us are wallowing in pit of cynicism and helplessness, often thinking of the worse when in most cases it is the opposite. Think positive if you want your life to be filled with positivity. Life is full of magic, miracles and pleasant surprises waiting to be discovered!

This is the book that had to be read!


No comments:

Post a Comment