Wednesday 8 June 2011

Tigiste-A Poem about a Beautiful Ethiopian Girl


The land of Tigiste, my first love, where have you gone?
The land of beautiful people, will we meet again?
I saw a girl with sharp features and milk white teeth at a Mall,
And asked her if she was Tigiste, and she said yes!

So I remembered where I was born, and Martha,and
Yeromnesh, and Dawit. Lost in sadness was I of a land
Lost to me, but for my precious memories of a past, rendered
Sweet in retrospect! To see you once more is my wish!

Tigiste, the damsel of my dreams, you visit me but
Fleetingly. And I saw you, and was taken to my past!
That guileless smile of yours, reminded me of a childhood,
Of fairy-tale people,  lush green forests,and Injera!

When I saw you, Tigiste I remembered
A coffee-dream world of endless game and adventure,
A world of Fairy tale possibilities,  fishing for Nile Perch
And gazing at  crystal clear streams of Arba-Minch

That was a childhood spent in the lap of Nature,
Where lessons were taught by beautiful people
About Honesty, Love, Truth, Friendship, greatest
of all respect for Nature!  Tigiste reminds me of them!

Tigiste

No comments:

Post a Comment