Saturday 28 July 2012

What is it that makes Stamps rare? A glimpse of rare Indian Bodhisattva and Japanese Mount Fuji Deer Stamps!

One of the thrills of being a collector of stamps stems from the belief that you might be having stamps that are rare in your collection! Misprints or defective prints make stamps rare, especially if the defects go undetected and the defective stamps go into circulation. One example of such a stamp is given below:

     IMG_0005                            

  IMG_0006
The defect is obvious in the above pictures of stamps belonging to the early fifties. The stamp on the left shows an image of Buddha with his left hand held out, placed over his left knee, while the stamp on the right shows Buddha with his right hand placed over his right knee. One of the two stamps is clearly an error.
Stamps become as rare as they age. Thus the older the stamps, the rarer will they be. They are also an important source of History, as they might carry important information about a particular era. The following pictures are of Japanese stamps dating from the period of 1922 to 1937:

 IMG_0008                   

             
   IMG_0009

Both stamps seem to be similar except for the colour used. While one is printed in blue ink, the other is printed in brown paint. The price of both stamps is the same, but what distinguishes them is the choice of colour! Three stamps featuring a design of Mount Fuji were issued between 1922 and 1937 and became known as the Fuji Deer stamps.

31 comments:

  1. hi i have one of those stamps. how much is the value please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i meant the indian boddhistiva one ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you have the misprint, then you are lucky! The misprint has a value of 199 dollars!

      Delete
    2. Dear Rodrick in Bodhisattva which one is misprint?

      Delete
    3. Jay, I am not very sure, but then one of them is a misprint. I suggest that you consider the set as one unit!

      Delete
    4. the right hand raised is the misprint

      Delete
  3. Hi,I am PSR. RAJU, from Hyderabad city.I have 65 Nos. each the Bodhisatva Stamps both as shown above . If any hobbyists require for their collection can contact me at my mail : psrraju1953@gmail.com - Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Raju, you have a fortune on your hands if you have 65. What matters in this case is whether they are authentic!

      Delete
  4. Dear Mr. R. Lal, Thanks for the appreciation... the stamps BODHISATTVA both designed are genuine ones ...and value is not much ...if any Philatelists require for their collection please contact me at : psrraju1953@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any one who intends to collect the set of both i.e. the misprint & also the correct Bodhisatta stamp may please contact me over Email : datta_pratik@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any one who intends to collect the set of both i.e. the misprint & also the correct Bodhisatta stamp may please contact me over Email : datta_pratik@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. datta_pratik@yahoo.com.I have a set of both the stamps. Please contact me over phone 9040585844

    ReplyDelete
  8. datta_pratik@yahoo.com.I have a set of both the stamps. Please contact me over phone 9040585844

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi.I have the blue Fuji.Is it misprint or the correct one? Can you mention its value please? My id dipankar.sristi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi.I have the blue Fuji.Is it misprint or the correct one? Can you mention its value please? My id dipankar.sristi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dipankar, all the genuine Mt. Fuji Stamps are rare, especially the early ones. It was only later that the modifications were put in. As far as the value is concerned, I am sorry, you will have to research further!

      Delete
    2. I have the brown an blue

      Delete
  11. If any body interested for both the stamps please. Contact satish. Mohanty 2012 @gmail.com or mobile phone number 09040585844.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1-anna stamp depicts the Bodhisattva statue 1 pair left out please do email me with the price that you can offer. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi I have the one with the hand on the leg if any one interested please email me thank you ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  15. E mail me at adambubo@gmail.com thanks ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi I have a both the Stamps you spoke of the blue mt Fuji 1sn no perf around it maybe you could tell me about this one Kennethstreb7

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have in my collection Bodhisatva both the images. One left and the other to right. Both in good condition . What would be its value. Please any one reply on my e mail
    nagarajbn1948@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. There are Indian sets of stamps during QV, KEVII, KGV and KGVI with watermarks other than the ones described in the specializ\ed catalogues.
    I have two complete sets of: 1) 1929 AIR MAIL complete with Inverted Sideways watermark
    2) 1931 INAUGIRATION OF NEW DELHI - Sideways Inverted Watermark
    And the One that is Missing from the Catalogues the DURBAR!
    Comments much appreciated

    George Fondis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear George, these could be rare stamps. Please get them assessed by a qualified evaluator.

      Delete
  19. I have bodhisattva misprint.how much could it be worth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult to say because there are quite many of these misprints.

      Delete
  20. I have many buddha stamps for sale.
    Contact +919003711100

    ReplyDelete
  21. Also many stamps all over the world. Contact. Send your interest.csn send photos. Penny black. One penny Red Rare stamps

    ReplyDelete