Saturday 23 September 2023

Fun with Macro Photography


Macro photography has much to offer to the enthusiast, especially because one might not have to travel far and wide. In many cases, there will be enough objects to photograph. However, photographing insects will offer more excitement, especially if they are rarely seen insects. Photographing Damsel Flies can be especially rewarding, as photographing Umbonia insects in association with ants.


What is perhaps even more amazing is to see mutualism being exercised between ants and Umbonia bugs. The ants provide protection to the Umbonia bugs and the Umbonia bugs provide the ants with a nutritious liquid.



Moths come in various shapes and sizes and I have been most amazed by some of the moths I have come across. The first one has a rather distinct pattern on its body and it has blue eyes. The next two photographs are those of a moth I spotted at Jim Corbet Park. If you zoom in closely, you will notice that its head looks like that of a wolf or a fox. The last photograph is that of a moth! I would have missed it if it had not been for it flitting across my eyes.







Spiders are my favourites. Most of the spiders that I have come across have been rather shy ones and they will mostly try to hide behind leaves. It is the silent ones that you need to beware of because they might be venomous! My favourite one is called Telamonia dimidiata. It is a rather shy spider and will often slip behind leaves the moment it sees you. Its almost translucent body is difficult to miss.





And of course, who could miss stink bugs. I was able to spot a male, female and infant stink bug recently. Try and see if you can identify the female bug!






No comments:

Post a Comment